Department: Strategy & Investments
MN8 Energy is one of the largest independent solar energy and energy storage owner-operators in the U.S., serving enterprise customers with clean energy and complementary solutions, such as battery storage and EV Charging, to enable an electrified, decarbonized world. Originally founded inside of Goldman Sachs in 2017, our fleet has grown to nearly 3-gigawatts of solar, including 850 projects across 27 states, and over 270 megawatts of battery storage projects, with each project tailored to achieve the bold decarbonization targets and goals of our more than 200 blue-chip customers. MN8 is headquartered in New York with offices in Delray Beach, Florida and Madrid.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
MN8’s Development Team is focused on greenfield origination of solar/storage/wind assets, assisting with M&A of pipelines/platforms, and progressing MN8’s existing pipeline. The Development team has a national presence with significant capital and resources at its disposal.
The Development Strategist is a key cross-functional leadership position within MN8’s Strategy team responsible for the strategy of MN8’s Development business. The person will work closely with the leadership of the Development, Commodity, Origination, Power Markets, Policy, Investing, and Execution verticals to form foundational views that will lead to market selection and development plan. This opportunity provides for significant growth potential and role evolution with the ideal candidate being someone that is highly motivated, curious, and strategic to help define this function and its future.
As the Development Strategist, you will:
Play a pivotal role in shaping and executing the company’s long-term vision, driving growth, and ensuring MN8 Energy remains at the forefront of the evolving energy landscape & dynamically bring together expertise in fundamental analysis, development, power markets, and strategy to optimize the development platform. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead market selection strategy to develop energy and battery storage projects
- Assess market trends in each target RTO
- Assess competition via queue and alternate data series analysis
- Assess utility Integrated Resource Plans to better understand future renewable needs and compare to competition that could serve that need
- Assess each markets challenges / opportunities
- Assess barriers to entry, timelines, feasibility
- Identify sub-RTO strategies by utility and resource type or product
- Aggregate views and data points from all internal teams / data (examples: transmission, origination, policy, MN8 strengths, etc)
- Build framework for market comparison
- Create profiles for each market and metrics
- Provide thought leadership to shape the overall development strategy and business plan
- Provide input to define what and where MN8 is developing to Management
- Identify potential acquisition targets
- Define solar, wind, and BESS targets by market
- Define target origination levels
- Synthesize cross-functional data and experience to take a view of future markets and build forward views that the Development team executes on
- Collaborate with executive leadership to define the company’s strategic direction and long-term goals for development
- Provide insights into market dynamics, regulatory changes, and technological advancements that may impact MN8’s Development business
- Identify and evaluate potential partnerships, alliances, and business opportunities that align with MN8 Energy’s strategic objectives
- Monitor and report on key financial metrics to track the success of development plan
- Regularly report on progress to executive leadership, providing insights and recommendations for adjustments as needed.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Economics, or related field of study
- 4-10 years’ of renewable energy experience
- Proven experience 5+ years in a strategic leadership role
- Development experience preferred
- Energy industry experience required
- Technically proficient with fundamental understanding of RTO’s
- Experience in establishing renewable energy strategy preferred
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to translate data into actionable insights.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and drive results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
How we set you up for success:
At MN8, we cultivate a culture of equity, through transparency and accessibility, where everyone thrives. We know our most valuable resource is our people. That’s why we offer the following benefits. By investing in you, we know we are investing in the clean energy of tomorrow.
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance beginning the 1st of the month following your date of hire
- Paid Time Off
- Paid holidays and floating holidays
- 401(k) with competitive employer match
- Hybrid work schedule including a “work from anywhere” allocation
- Parental leave
MN8 Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital or familial status.
Interested in applying to this position? Click below to submit your application.Apply now