High Voltage Substation Engineer
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Department: Tech Ops - Engineering
MN8 Energy is one of the largest independent solar energy and energy storage owner-operators in the U.S., serving enterprise customers with clean energy and complementary solutions, such as battery storage and EV Charging, to enable an electrified, decarbonized world. Originally founded inside of Goldman Sachs in 2017, our fleet has grown to nearly 3-gigawatts of solar, including 850 projects across 27 states, and over 270 megawatts of battery storage projects, with each project tailored to achieve the bold decarbonization targets and goals of our more than 200 blue-chip customers. MN8 is headquartered in New York with offices in Boca Raton, Florida and Madrid.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
MN8 is seeing an experienced, hands-on HV–Substation Engineer, a key role in our Engineering-Tech Ops team; whose accountability is to bring electrical engineering subject matter expertise to early stage development, construction ready and operational projects. The Engineer is responsible for supporting a cross-functional team during technical development, technical due diligence, interconnection submission and approval, review of design for commercial and utility-scale solar and energy storage projects during various lifecycle of the projects. The HV Engineer will provide guidance for the vetting of project specifications and requirements, providing technical support to the Development and Asset Ops team, review of drawings and associated studies, and review of EPC scope pertaining to substation design. In addition, the HV Engineer will be a key member in reviewing all submittals and design packages during project engineering and execution.
As the HV Substation Engineer, you will:
- Act as subject matter expert for the development/Project engineering team, including design and interconnection, and provide technical support for commercial and utility-scale solar and energy storage projects that connect at medium or high voltage.
- Develop technical standards and tools to be used by internal and external engineering partners pertaining to HV/MV and substation design.
- Review electrical drawing packages and studies and utility reports pertaining to High Voltage and Medium voltage design.
- Reviewing calculations and modeling pertaining to power flow, arc-flash, short circuit, harmonic study, protection, and coordination studies.
- Support technical optimization and continuous smooth operations of plants while maintaining quality and compliance with national, local, and internal standards.
- Support Development team in early-stage facilities and transmission studies and provide guidance on design and protection proposal for utility submissions.
- Support Asset Ops team in providing guidance for any repairs and re-design efforts for operational plants.
- Reviewing specifications and scope for communications architecture and hardware designs for protection controls.
- Support Project Engineering team in reviews and subject matter expertise to resolve on-going construction issues.
- Provide necessary support in submissions for ISO and local utilities.
- Provide support in reviewing and providing specifications for procurement of long lead substation equipment items.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or other Engineering plus relevant experience related field; Master’s preferred
- Min 5 years’ experience (or equivalent) in High Voltage/SCADA engineering/implementation and in the renewable energy electric industry
- Working knowledge of relevant codes and standards, including National Electrical Code (NEC), National Electrical Safety Code (NESC), International Building Code (IBC), etc
- AutoCAD, other CAD software
- Electrical PE Certification or path to certification a plus
- Project experience to include project development and permitting, conceptual and detailed design, project engineering, scheduling, cost estimating, procurement, and contracts
- Understanding of grid-tied photovoltaic systems and commercial energy storage technologies including: inverters, monitoring & communications, and energy management technologies
- Experience designing and building large scale PV and energy storage systems
- Demonstrated experience with utility networks and an ability to interface as the main technical contact to utilities for interconnection approval, including witness testing and site commissioning
- Good knowledge of SCADA and controls architecture, including component architecture to inform design decisions desirable.
- Experience with controls for ISO market participation and utility controls; CAISO and PJM a plus
- Inform preliminary scoping, cost and design of substations and MV/HV interconnection strategy.
- Strong knowledge and experience in electrical system design, including sizing and specifying electrical service equipment, transformers, metering equipment, protective relaying and/or overcurrent devices, cable, conduit, switchboards, panel boards, and SCADA and protective systems for low, medium and high voltage systems
- Knowledge of electrical principles including ohm’s law, 3-phase power, voltage drop, power factor, electrical fault type, effecting grounding, transformer theory, and grid integration
- Demonstrated ability to interface effectively with cross-functional employee groups of all levels and competencies
- Proven ability to adapt to change in a calm and measured manner
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
- Willingness to travel as required
MN8 Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital or familial status.
Interested in applying to this position? Click below to submit your application.Apply now